Old Henrichenburg ship lift
The old Henrichenburg ship lift in Waltrop is a popular excursion destination, not only for technophiles. On August 11, 1899, Caesar Wilhelm II inaugurated the largest and most exciting building on the Dortmund-Ems canal. An industrial memorial of European ranking, the lift is today one of the most prominent locations of Westphalia’s industrial museum.
In 2002, the Westphalia Lippe Agricultural association (LWL) celebrated the museum’s 10th anniversary. In the old engine house, the exhibition portrays the construction of the 100 and the century-old tradition of inland water navigation. Attractions in the “floating” harbour museum include a historical shipyard, steamers and floating tools. Located at the outer port is the motor powered freight ship “Franz-Christian“. Once aboard, guests can gain an insight into the everyday lives of the inland sailors and their families.
As part of the museum's educational programmes, children are able to crew the ship as deckhands. The engine room has space for presentations, concerts, theatre productions and children’s birthday parties.